Personally I quite like this idea*.
You see ikea has short cuts. To get you out quickly. Which in a Church context, could be useful for things like “The Peace”, or giving each other a “Holy Kiss.”
Lets not forget the chocolate.
What else could a Church steal from ikea?
Do you still need a calendar for 2019?
How about something a little Christian?
What about something a little fun?
What if I told you there was yet another edition of the “Nuns Having Fun Wall Calendar?” (affiliate link)
According to Amazon:
They work hard, they pray hard–and they do it with gusto! Twenty-four sweet photos display the delightful, adventurous, and joyfully unexpected sides of convent life, every month. With sweet, witty captions offered up by Maureen Kelly and Jeffrey Stone, coauthors of the New York Times bestselling Growing Up Catholic. A sister leading an Irish jug: “But Sister Bridget, we’re Polish!” Beaming under an umbrella: “The forecast calls for manna from heaven today.” On a motorbike: “I know a shortcut to the highway to heaven.” And nuns with a heavy string of the day’s catch: “Good things come to those who bait!”
Sounds great for someones wall.
As 2018 draws to a close, I’m going to steal some some inspiration from a recent Facebook post from Barack Obama, and share some bits and pieces I’ve enjoyed seeing / reading / listening to over the last 12 months. They’ve all particularly inspired, or held my attention in some way.
There will also be Church Sofa highlights thrown in there as well.
There may well be affiliate links thrown in to the mix, but if you dont know any of the below I’d encourage you to check it all out.
Some of my favourite books from this year:
- Diary of a Wimpy Christian by Dave Hopwood
- Hope Unleashed by Andy Hawthorne
- Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
My Favourite Christian Meme
How was there not more Easter / Jesus / April Fools memes going around the place?
Church Sofa Guide.
Was it born from frustration? Or is inspiration found from people around me… Either way, I did enjoy 10 Tips to keep a Tidy Christian House.
My Favourite Movies of 2018
- Avengers – Infinity War.
- Thor – Ragnarok
- The Greatest Showman
- Doctor Strange
Theres possibly a Marvel theme going on here…
My Favourite Songs of 2018
- A Million Dreams
Favourite Sermon of 2018
Favourite Church Notice Board
And its possibly a note to go into 2019 on…
What are your highpoints from 2018?
Earlier today, Sofa found himself caught in a conversation about how exciting Church… doesn’t always come across as. So this evening after work, a couple of us took a quick survey of the people we could randomly find, and asked them “How would you make church more exciting?”. These are the top ten answers we got:
- In door fireworks… At any given moment
- Britain’s got talent style buzzers used during the sermon. Give one to every member of the congregation.
- If the preacher goes over the allocated time slot… Paint ball guns…
- Mute button on the worship leader for when he / she goes off on one.
- The Bible reading as a dramatic 4d experience.
- A gunge tank… Because they’re not used enough these days…
- Certain pews are connected to a surprise underground rollercoaster. Perfect seats for visitors / Bishops just popping to say hi.
- The team in charge of song lyrics on screens / handouts subtly change a few lyrics here and there. Watch and see what happens.
- After the service ends – organise fort building challenges using the pews / chairs / leadership team – to help build community.
- Employ a clown to welcome people in.
What would you add?