Unless you’ve been hiding under a rock you would have noticed that Christmas time is up on us. A time when Churches become triple booked with many different Christmas services, it can be difficult for people who lead these church services to find an original idea to use.
So in honour of the season, here is the Church Sofa list of 10 New Ideas For Your Christmas Service
1. Don’t sing Christmas Carols, instead save the cost of printing out song sheets, and everyone can sing songs from Frozen instead.
2. Cancel the Christmas Services, arrange for people to go to a couple of pubs instead.
3. Enact the nativity play, but the parts are based on who came where in a game of Mario Kart. Eg If you come last, you play a donkey’s ass.
4. Have a “Who got the best present” competition. (Naturally lead onto talk about how the gift of Jesus is actually the best present of all.)
5. Take a collection for people who don’t have anywhere decent to be at Christmas.
6. Do you have a communion service over Christmas? Well as its Christmas, ditch the communion wine, and go with Port instead.
7. It’s been suggested that Mary and Joseph didn’t have much money. Celebrate this by teaching people how to cook.
8. It may well have been cold in that stable. Celebrate this by having a bonfire on the alter.
9. Ask people: Who should be in a nativity scene? Who was at the birth of Jesus? If anyone says wisemen / kings / magi, explain that after walking a long way to get there, they turn up late. Give these people a map of somewhere to walk, explain there’s a prize there, and tell them to get walking. Obviously the place they are going to, is along long way away.
10. If all else fails, bring in the animals.
Anymore that should be included?
Blogger / WordPress / Email List Guy.
Support worker. Short sentences. I write Bio in.