Do you remember when you were at school?
Do you remember how everyone seemed to behave a little “differently” when a substitute teacher was involved?
What if churches behaved like that when they have a substitute preacher / minister person? What sort of behavior would that look like? Here’s the Church Sofa list of ideas for activities for when a Church has a substitue pracher…
- Sing the wrong tune for each song during worship. For example sing “Amazing Grace” to the tune of “How Great Thou Art”.
- Swap the water bottle for vodka.*
- Sit down for the hymns Stand up for the sermon (May backfire in case of long sermon).
- Give out a different Bible translation to normal.
- Have powerpoint style presentation slides? Show all the slides in the wrong order. Possibly also include a good picture of the regular preacher – just to remind people of who they’re missing.
- Write a note on the back of the notice sheet, see how far the note can be passed before the minister gets suspicious.
- (If in a more traditional church) Shout AMEN for EACH POINT during the sermons.
- (If in a loud charismatic church) Stay quiet during the sermon.
- Get a guy to stand at the back making the “your zip is low” motion. Take bets to see how long it takes for the minister to look uncomfortable.
- Have a communion service? Swap the red wine for white.
Any other ideas?
*Maybe also hide their car keys.
Blogger / WordPress / Email List Guy.
Support worker. Short sentences. I write Bio in.