If you’re an introvert like me, sometimes church can be a bit daunting. Especially moments like the peace, or ‘fellowship times’ read bad coffee and awkward chit chat. Some think that introversion is the same as being shy or withdrawn, it isn’t. In reality being introverted simply means you give rather than receive energy when around lots of people. Here’s our top ten tips for surviving church as an introvert:
- Solo Prayer Walking is a great way to get some me time, whilst looking like you’re a great Christian!
- Be careful which teams and rotas you agree to join. You don’t have to say yes to all of them.
- That said sometimes joining a rota is a great way to limit the amount of people you have to interact with if that helps.
- If you go to a church that does ‘The Peace’ just remember it will be over soon! And try not to make eye contact with ‘that guy’.
- Don’t feel like you have to stay for the Church lunch afterwards. It’s great to hang out with church people, but if it is too much at once feel free to leave a bit early, no one will mind!
- If you’re nervous about praying out loud in a group, sometimes it helps to get in there earlier rather than later, less time to worry about it etc.
- If you’re like me, sometimes being ‘up the front’ actually makes it easier. For me speaking to a large group doesn’t drain me in the same way a smaller group might. I think it feels more like my own space.
- Get involved in the areas of church your passionate about. If you love playing music in the band you’re much more likely to stick at it than if you join the tea and coffee team yet don’t like making tea or coffee!
- You can always try and take over the churches Pokemon Gym, or at least get some great screen shots of pokemon ‘attacking’ church members!
- Remember everyone else there is your brother and sister in Christ. It’s okay to feel like you’ve had enough time with them, but we are still a family!
Anything you’d add?