Do you know an introvert in Church? Maybe you are one? Dont know what it means to be an introvert? Urban dictionary has the following definition of an introvert:
Opposite of extrovert. A person who is energized by spending time alone. Often found in their homes, libraries, quiet parks that not many people know about, or other secluded places, introverts like to think and be alone.
So how can the Church (normally an activity featuring people), help people who “like to think and be alone”? Well the Church Sofa would like to offer these 10 tips on how to cater for introverts in the Church*.
- Spot someone new in Church? Make sure you get them to stand up in the service and get them to say their name, and give at least one embarrassing fact about themselves. It will help them in conversations later.
- “Turn to your neighbour, and share how they can pray for you”
- Regularly encourage quieter people in Bible studies to talk to the group, they will thank you for making them voice an opinion.
- Do something different from the norm in a Church service. Don’t tell people about what to expect, they’ll love the surprise.
- Give them a Holy kiss.
- Is someone acting a little quiet? Feed them a massive mugful of espresso.
- “Discuss with your neighbour what you learnt from God during todays sermon.”
- During The Peace at church, encourage everyone to greet everybody loudly and proudly.
- “Lets all take turns in reading a verse from the Bible passage out loud. Let us all take time and really read out the words clearly, and let us feel the Word of God speaking to us, as we all read”
- Encourage EVERYBODY to dance in The Lord. Particularly if its a small group. Introverts love small groups.
*We hold no responsibility for anything that happens if you try the above. This might be more useful if you are interested.
Blogger / WordPress / Web / Social media Guy
Support worker. Short sentences. I write Bio in.