The Church Sofa Guide To Church: Getting Something Out of a Boring Sermon
Now I’m sure I’m not alone in this, but sometimes, every now and then… What’s the best way of putting this… A sermon may not speak to you personally… I’m not saying its a bad sermon… Just that you yourself may find it kinda boring. (Done, trying to be nice about rubbish sermons now are we? – Editor)
Well, here are some practical tips to help you get the most out of a boring sermon:
- Write a letter to God.
- Got access to Bible study notes on your phone? Read them.
- Read the Bible passage that’s being preached on.
- Pray. Then try listening just a bit at a time. Maybe something will jump out at get your attention. If its less then 140 characters try sharing it on Twitter with the #Sermon hashtag.
- Choose a book of the Bible; maybe one of the smaller ones, then read it.
- Someone come to mind That you’ve not touched base with for a while? Try dropping them a text?
- Gaze around. Whose sitting by themselves? Plot what you’re going to say to them after the service.
- Work out what you’re going to say if someone compliments the sermon to you, or even worse, asks what god said to you during the sermon.
- Get out. See if anyone needs company outside the church hall.
- Grab a pen. Grab some paper. Get started on that shopping list for that trip around Tesco’s you need to do after the service…
Do you have any tips to share?
Blogger / WordPress / Email List Guy.
Support worker. Short sentences. I write Bio in.