Is this basically the argument for keeping Churches open?
Remember back in the day, DC Talk kinda tried to claim the term “Jesus Freak”? I wonder if the same sort of thought process took place here?
Welcome to the Jesus Christ Super Spreader T Shirt
Made after the guy that is hosting massive outdoor worship events in America was called a Super Spreader by Rolling Stone Magazine. Events that look a bit like this…
Sofa is not sure if being a super spreader is something to be proud of.
And yes. Perhaps he is trying to say he is “spreading the name of Jesus”? Now is not the time to try and claim that term.
Plus. Lets face it. There is a risk that events like this could well spread covid, and that, is probably not something to be proud of.
Maybe, being an idiot isn’t something to be proud of?
Well in a year like 2020, I find it helpful to remember things that dont change, and remain constant.
For example the fact that fish is always best with chips, the taste of good coffee, and my bible sitting there looking at me.
Another constant is that with a Christian festival approaching, we’re probably going to get upset with something. One year, it was sausage rolls at Christmas, another year it was something about Easter Eggs at an Egg hunt on the lead up to Easter. (Or something like that)
Therefore, I’ve started a list of what we should be mad about.
There’s not alot yet, please let me know if you feel anything should be added.
With the pandemic – will there be an outcry about Starbucks this year?
Believe in Chris.
and enjoy this mug. (affiliate link)
Once upon a time. In a simpler pre-covid age, Sofa wrote a little thing about Alternative Christmas Service Ideas, and as a post. Its fine. You can argue some of it could be adjusted for a socially distanced church service, but… some of them might take work.
With that in mind, may I present* the Church Sofa…
Alternative – Socially Distanced – Christmas Service Ideas…
- Ok. Lets face it. Inviting a group of people anywhere may not be the best the thing to do right now. So – lets bring it to the people. Find a heavily pregnant lady and ask her to walk around the local streets. Knocking on peoples door, asking if theres any room in the inn.
- Add a hassled husband into the mix.
- Have a live donkey with them as well. Don’t forget to walk the long donkey up to the house whilst they are being asked if there is any room. Bonus points if the donkey leaves any “bonus” gifts on the door step. It will add to the atmosphere.
- Have a socially distanced choir follow the couple and donkey.
- Livestream a Christmas reading. Just outside the open window to a labour ward. See if any “bonus sounds” get picked up.
- Live stream a reading of the shepherds, in the light of a camp fire. Possibly on the church carpert. Granted someone on the PCC / a Deacon / Church Wardens, may come after you, but the young people will love it. Besides. It might be a while until anyone notices.
- Do you normally have a midnight service? Try and have drop a little bottle of port around everyones houses. See if anyone has it by the time the service starts.
- Is there anyone pregnant in your church? Get them to change their Facebook name to “Mary”, then a few days before encourage her say she has to go on a journey… and the travel arrangements aren’t great.
- Raise money for Sofa to make the Christmas Carol Service Bingo Card – an app. Therefore cutting down on paper being given out to people.
- Its Christmas. Its not cancelled! Its a time of celebration! Live stream fireworks being set off! Just dont have the donkey involved with it.
*Some of this might actually get you arrested, or result in a fire or something… The Sofa doesn’t take any responsibility – for anything – let alone the internet getting into trouble.
Are there any you would add?