Long time readers of The Sofa will know of my daughter, “Little Sofa”. I don’t mention her often as this place is often about silly church things… not little person things.
Now, if you don’t have kids yourself, they seem to hate the concept of going to relax in a bed and gently going to sleep for the night. (It’s like they believe that they’ll miss out on all the fun if they sleep.)
Normally kids employ tactics to stay up like, running, dancing, needing a wee, and going to the toilet.
Lately I’ve noticed that Little Sofa occasionally tries a different technique to avoid going to sleep… She starts talking about church things… and well I guess we’re never sure how much we should tell her to go to sleep if she’s asking questions about Jesus?
Anyway here’s a collection of Christian style techniques she has employed to stay awake. (Some of which I may have made up):
- Opens up and explains what they did at Sunday school / holiday club.
- Asks questions about diversity within the human race, and why we’re created differently.
- Asks about the people out in the lions den.
- “Did Jesus go to school?”
- Test parents about deep theological matters.
- Starts writing practice. Writing Bible verses.
- Insists on a really long prayer.
- Sings a long forgotten song from Holiday Club, really nicely, with cute dialed up to 12.
- “How does God know our name?”
- Complains about a dream during which they are chased by a really big blue book.
Any more you can offer?
When I tried asking Little Sofa about what Messy Church was about… it seems that she has learnt the art of giving generic answers.
Check out dadssofa.co.uk for more stuff like this…
A little miracle happened on Sunday. The Church Sofa family made it to the Church service on time! Now this wasn’t without the toddler seeming to put her best efforts into making us late for Church. As we were leaving the house for the second time that morning, I wondered exactly how Toddlers can make you late for Church.
- The toddler asks… “One more Topsy and Tim / Bing / Kate and Mim Mim”
- The cry of, “I need a WEEEE”, just as you’re leaving the front door.
- Hiding your Bible. (Or using your Bible as a chew toy)
- The toddler deciding that, they don’t want that doggy toy, they want the other doggy toy.
- Dropping the toy Jesus just as you’re leaving.
- “One more Topsy and Tim / Bing / Kate and Mim Mim… Pleeeeeeaaaaaasssssseeee”
- Wanting to go in the driving seat of the car, and making that known by climbing past their car seat, and into the front.
- Deciding that no, they don’t want the bribe you offered to get out the house.
- Hearing a cry of “Oh No, POO!”
- Wanting to bring about 20 to many toys, therefore its time to turn into a top negotiator, and agree on an amount of toys that are acceptable to all parties.
What other ways do toddlers make you late?
Back in the mists of time, when I announced that “mini sofa” would be joining us in the world, I also announced that there may be a certain amount of children / kid focus around here. (I think I said it would be called “Dads Corner”). That never really happened.
Instead, The Little Southern Dad blog was born. Its a general collection of stuff n’ gubbins about parenting, babies, beer, lego, and Doctor Who.
All the important stuff in life.
Please check it out!
Hello, and welcome to the Bank Holiday Edition of the weekly round up:
Welcome to the world of The Secret Keeper Girl website.
I kinda came across this website by mistake (I was looking for something a little more Doctor Who based), its not the prettiest place in the world… I’m not sure if its because its a Flash based nightmare, or if its the mad colours… but I’m not sure if I like it…
What do you reckon?
Useful resource for children?