Have you ever wondered what people who aren’t used to Church services, think about Church services? Have you ever wondered if its clear what you should be doing in a church communion service? Have you ever wondered what you probably should not do during communion?*
Here’s our list…
- Sneeze in to the hair of the person in front of you.
- Loudly discuss if the common cold is contagious.
- Loudly discuss the vintage of the wine, just after you’ve had a sip.
- Start a debate about the various names for the communion service.
- Give everyone a special Holy Kiss during the peace.
- Jesus took communion as part of a meal. Time for a food fight?
- Ask your neighbour if they’ve had their flu shots recently.
- If you happen to take two bits of bread… anything you can make a sandwich with?
- Loudly question the choice of wine, and ask for cider instead. The colder the better
- You know the napkin that is passed around with The Communion Cup? Use that to blow your nose.
Any other suggestions?
*The Church Sofa doesn’t accept any responsibilities for any action that results from the above. If you get involved in a food fight, please don’t blame us!
If this song gets lodged inside your head, I’m sorry.
Well. At least a little bit sorry.
Does anyone know what percentage parody this tune is?
Imagine the situation: You’re hosting your church home group, and the person leading the Bible study doesn’t turn up. What do you do? You could ditch the bible study, have a quick chat and get on with your lives? (But no one ever seems to want to do that)
Or you could lead a bible study anyway? But what is your bible study going to be about? To help get you started here are our Emergency Housegroup Leaders Kit Of Ideas!
- You’re going to need an energy kick to get through this. All the cool kids seem to drink Monster…
- Bibles. Have lots and lots of Bibles! Hand them out. Get people to read a verse or twenty at random. Ask people what they think about said random verses.
- An impressive Bible book. Unlocking The Bible is one…
- Buy and bring a local business a present. Explain that you wanted to bring them a present to encourage them.
- Bible Through Lego! Use Lego characters to tell Biblical truths. Or something…
- Ask everyone to give an encouraging Bible verse to the person on the left. Give them all a chalk pen to take home with them to write the Bible verse on a mirror at home. (You can use the Encouraging Bible Verse Picker for help)
- Ask deep searching questions about these unfortunate Bible verses. (Examples of questions you can ask include “How do these verses speak into your life?”)
- Got some cushions? Get everyone to lay down, and “wait on God” / Pray / meditate / sleep / whatever…
- A video clip of someone talking about God. Saves you from having to do it…
- Just drag everyone down to the pub, and buy them all a pint.
Any other ideas you’d like to add?
Want to know how to get more of the kids into church?
Want your church to reach out to millennials?
The Blimey Cow team have a few ideas…
I can’t help but like the response from New York’s, The Riverside Church to Donald Trumps immigration ban. (Obviously before it was overturned).
They simply read all the bible passages about welcoming strangers.