We are slowly entering the season of Christmas Carol Services in Churches around the world.
Have you ever sat in one and felt that it felt oddly familiar? Maybe the service feels the same as a previous one, but with a few changes?
To test that feeling, we have The Christmas Carol Service Bingo Game. Please feel free to print out the below, and share the bingo cards along the back row, during the Carol Services of this upcoming Christmas season.
Obviously, when you get a line, don’t shout AMEN if you complete a line… shout HARK! or something…
Unless you’ve been hiding under a rock you would have noticed that Christmas time is up on us. A time when Churches become triple booked with many different Christmas services, it can be difficult for people who lead these church services to find an original idea to use.
So in honour of the season, here is the Church Sofa list of 10 New Ideas For Your Christmas Service
1. Don’t sing Christmas Carols, instead save the cost of printing out song sheets, and everyone can sing songs from Frozen instead.
2. Cancel the Christmas Services, arrange for people to go to a couple of pubs instead.
3. Enact the nativity play, but the parts are based on who came where in a game of Mario Kart. Eg If you come last, you play a donkey’s ass.
4. Have a “Who got the best present” competition. (Naturally lead onto talk about how the gift of Jesus is actually the best present of all.)
5. Take a collection for people who don’t have anywhere decent to be at Christmas.
6. Do you have a communion service over Christmas? Well as its Christmas, ditch the communion wine, and go with Port instead.
7. It’s been suggested that Mary and Joseph didn’t have much money. Celebrate this by teaching people how to cook.
8. It may well have been cold in that stable. Celebrate this by having a bonfire on the alter.
9. Ask people: Who should be in a nativity scene? Who was at the birth of Jesus? If anyone says wisemen / kings / magi, explain that after walking a long way to get there, they turn up late. Give these people a map of somewhere to walk, explain there’s a prize there, and tell them to get walking. Obviously the place they are going to, is along long way away.
10. If all else fails, bring in the animals.
Anymore that should be included?
Got a Christmas service coming up? Not sure what to include? Want something original? Here are 10 Ideas For Your Christmas Service – that may really stick in peoples minds…
- Having a nativity? The process of birth isn’t really that easy… Bring a feel of the dramatic to your service. Arrange for one of your local pregnant ladies to have labour induced during the service.
- Is your church smelling nice? Thats not really fitting in with a nativity scene, try bringing in some animal… deposits… and spread around the hall.
- Including Lobsters in the nativity scene.
- Use an actual new born child as Jesus – without Mummy or Daddy near by.
- Would they have had a fire going near by where Jesus was born. Get one going… Yes in the church building.
- Got a pregnant lady in your church? Try and reenact the walk to Bethlehem, by getting said pregnant lady to walk round and round the church. Obviously the heavier the pregnancy, the better.
- Pregnant lady getting tired, get her a lift! Maybe in a trolley, a piggy back… An actual live donkey…
- Ensure you have more Candles in your “Carols by Candle Light” service then the church down the road.
- Got an advent candle? Trust the kids to light them unaccompanied.
- Live Camels?