Have you ever wondered what people who aren’t used to Church services, think about Church services? Have you ever wondered if its clear what you should be doing in a church communion service? Have you ever wondered what you probably should not do during communion?*
Here’s our list…
- Sneeze in to the hair of the person in front of you.
- Loudly discuss if the common cold is contagious.
- Loudly discuss the vintage of the wine, just after you’ve had a sip.
- Start a debate about the various names for the communion service.
- Give everyone a special Holy Kiss during the peace.
- Jesus took communion as part of a meal. Time for a food fight?
- Ask your neighbour if they’ve had their flu shots recently.
- If you happen to take two bits of bread… anything you can make a sandwich with?
- Loudly question the choice of wine, and ask for cider instead. The colder the better
- You know the napkin that is passed around with The Communion Cup? Use that to blow your nose.
Any other suggestions?
*The Church Sofa doesn’t accept any responsibilities for any action that results from the above. If you get involved in a food fight, please don’t blame us!
A Simpsons style look at Heaven… Catholic and otherwise…
Imagine the situation: You’re hosting your church home group, and the person leading the Bible study doesn’t turn up. What do you do? You could ditch the bible study, have a quick chat and get on with your lives? (But no one ever seems to want to do that)
Or you could lead a bible study anyway? But what is your bible study going to be about? To help get you started here are our Emergency Housegroup Leaders Kit Of Ideas!
- You’re going to need an energy kick to get through this. All the cool kids seem to drink Monster…
- Bibles. Have lots and lots of Bibles! Hand them out. Get people to read a verse or twenty at random. Ask people what they think about said random verses.
- An impressive Bible book. Unlocking The Bible is one…
- Buy and bring a local business a present. Explain that you wanted to bring them a present to encourage them.
- Bible Through Lego! Use Lego characters to tell Biblical truths. Or something…
- Ask everyone to give an encouraging Bible verse to the person on the left. Give them all a chalk pen to take home with them to write the Bible verse on a mirror at home. (You can use the Encouraging Bible Verse Picker for help)
- Ask deep searching questions about these unfortunate Bible verses. (Examples of questions you can ask include “How do these verses speak into your life?”)
- Got some cushions? Get everyone to lay down, and “wait on God” / Pray / meditate / sleep / whatever…
- A video clip of someone talking about God. Saves you from having to do it…
- Just drag everyone down to the pub, and buy them all a pint.
Any other ideas you’d like to add?